Equipment Access Policy
- Only active Makerspace Al Zeina members or Day-Pass users may engage in work and the use of tools and equipment at Makerspace Al Zeina.
- Members are required to take and pass Safety and Basic Use (SBU) classes for all tools and equipment that can cause personal injury or be damaged through improper use. You may not access any such tools and equipment until you have completed and passed the required SBU. This is a requirement of our insurance. NO exceptions!
- Anyone found to be operating tools or equipment without having taken and passed the required SBU class will result in the revocation of all membership privileges.
Equipment Reservation Policies & Procedures
- Active members are welcome to reserve time on selected pieces of equipment in advance of your visit.
- If your membership is not active (for example, it has expired or has not been started yet), you will need to activate your membership at Front Desk before you can request a reservation.
- Members cannot reserve and operate more than 1 piece of equipment simultaneously.
- Equipment may be reserved from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 4 hours (due to their popularity, Laser Cutters and 3D Printers have a maximum time limit of 2 hours).
- A single piece of equipment can be reserved up to a maximum of 4 hours per day with a minimum reservation time of 1 hour, e.g. 4 reservation slots of one hour each per single piece of equipment.
- Only 3 reservations may be made on any single piece of equipment per week.
- When the booking is made, 1-hour lead time is required before reservation starts. If member A is using a machine without reservation, member B cannot reserve it immediately and ask member A to leave the machine. 1 hour heads up must be given to member A to finish up. Front Desk staff should be able to over-ride this rule if the machine is not being used and the member needs to reserve it immediately.
- You may NOT start your reservation early. You may be allowed to continue working after your time has expired if no one has the equipment reserved following you. DO NOT make assumptions, check with staff for availability of time extension.
- You may NOT work more than 8 total hours per day on any piece of equipment and a 1-hour rest break is strongly suggested between all 4-hour reservations.
- Start cleaning up 15 minutes prior to the end of your reserved time. You MUST be ready to surrender the workspace and equipment to the next member at the beginning of their scheduled reservation. DO NOT make anyone wait for you, as their time will not be extended.
Equipment Reservation Cancellations, Late-Shows and No-Shows
- Reservations and Cancellations can be made by calling or speaking with Front Desk.
- Lots of other Makerspace Al Zeina members share this equipment with you, so please do not abuse your reservations privileges. If you cannot make your reservation, please cancel it from your reservation list page or call us at 02 558 8624 as soon as you know, so we can make the time slot available for other members.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late, without notice, your reservation is forfeit and made available on a first-come-first-served basis. You may reschedule.
- Member reservation privilege may be suspended for excessive last-minute cancellations, no shows, no calls, or calendar manipulation. This will result in a 1-month reservation suspension.
- Closed toe shoes must be worn at all times, in all areas.
- In areas that involve working with high temperatures, like welding, metal casting and powder coating, long-sleeved shirts and long pants are required. Clothing should be made from natural fibers or leather, so it doesn't melt if it contacts something hot.
- When using most power tools, especially drills, saws, mills and lathes, you must wear short-sleeved shirts, pull back long hair securely and remove any hanging jewelry.
- Check your class listing for mandatory and advisable safety equipment.
- Equipment or clothing listed as mandatory must be worn or used while working with that equipment or taking that class. TechShop will have loaner items for mandatory safety equipment, with the exception of shoes and other types of clothing. Many of these items will be for sale in the lobby; arrive early if you need to borrow or purchase safety gear.
- Equipment listed as advisable is a suggestion from Makerspace, but not mandatory. These items are generally not available as loaners from Makerspace. They may be for sale in the lobby.
Changes to our Equipment Policies & Procedures
If we decide to change our Equipment Policies and Procedures, we will post those changes on this page, and/or update Equipment Policies and Procedures modification date below. This policy was last modified on October, 2020.
If there are any questions regarding this policy, you may contact us using the information in Contact us.