Equipment Access Policy
- Only active Makerspace Al Zeina members may engage in work and the use of tools and equipment at Makerspace Al Zeina.
- For safety reasons, this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class requires a successful completion prior to independent use during membership! You may not access any such tools and equipment until you have completed and passed the required SBU. This is a requirement of our insurance. NO exceptions!
- Anyone found to be operating tools or equipment without having taken and passed the required SBU class will result in the revocation of all membership privileges.
- Youth as young as 8 years of age can become Makerspace members and have access to classes and equipment! As there are different levels of inherent risk in both the environment and the operation of the various tools and equipment, designated shop areas, equipment and classes have varying age minimums, which are categorised in Supervised and Solo Age Groups in our Minors & Shop Access Policies.
Reservation Policies & Procedures
- Active members are welcome to reserve time on selected pieces of equipment in advance of your visit.
- If your membership is not active (for example, it has expired or has not been started yet), you will need to activate your membership at Front Desk before you can request a reservation.
- Members cannot reserve and operate more than 1 piece of equipment simultaneously.
- Equipment can be reserved up to a maximum of 4 hours per day with a minimum reservation time of 1 hour, e.g. 4 reservation slots of one hour each per single piece of equipment.
- Due to their popularity, Laser Cutters and 3D Printers have a maximum time limit of 2 hours.
- Only 3 reservations may be made on any single piece of equipment per week.
- When the booking is made, 1-hour lead time is required before reservation starts. If member A is using a machine without reservation, member B cannot reserve it immediately and ask member A to leave the machine. 1 hour heads up must be given to member A to finish up. Front Desk staff should be able to over-ride this rule if the machine is not being used and the member needs to reserve it immediately.
- You may NOT start your reservation early. You may be allowed to continue working after your time has expired if no one has the equipment reserved following you. DO NOT make assumptions, check with staff for availability of time extension.
- You may NOT work more than 8 total hours per day on any piece of equipment and a 1-hour rest break is strongly suggested between all 4-hour reservations.
- Start cleaning up 15 minutes prior to the end of your reserved time. You MUST be ready to surrender the workspace and equipment to the next member at the beginning of their scheduled reservation. DO NOT make anyone wait for you, as their time will not be extended.
Reservation Cancellations, Late-Shows & No-Shows
- Reservations and Cancellations can be made by calling or speaking with Front Desk.
- Lots of other Makerspace Al Zeina members share this equipment with you, so please do not abuse your reservations privileges. If you cannot make your reservation, please cancel it from your reservation list page or call us at 02 558 8624 as soon as you know, so we can make the time slot available for other members.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late, without notice, your reservation is forfeit and made available on a first-come-first-served basis. You may reschedule.
- Member reservation privilege may be suspended for excessive last-minute cancellations, no shows, no calls, or calendar manipulation. This will result in a 1-month reservation suspension.
Equipment Safety Guidelines
- Closed toe shoes must be worn at all times, in all areas.
- In areas that involve working with high temperatures, like welding, metal casting and powder coating, long-sleeved shirts and long pants are required. Clothing should be made from natural fibres or leather, so it doesn't melt if it contacts something hot.
- When using most power tools, especially drills, saws, mills and lathes, you must wear short-sleeved shirts, pull back long hair securely and remove any hanging jewellery.
- Check your class listing for mandatory and advisable safety equipment.
- Equipment or clothing listed as mandatory must be worn or used while working with that equipment or taking that class. Makerspace will have loaner items for mandatory safety equipment, with the exception of shoes and other types of clothing. Many of these items will be for sale in the lobby; arrive early if you need to borrow or purchase safety gear.
- Equipment listed as advisable is a suggestion from Makerspace, but not mandatory. These items are generally not available as loaners from Makerspace. They may be for sale in the lobby.
Changes to our Equipment Policies & Procedures
If we decide to change our Equipment Policies and Procedures, we will post those changes on this page, and/or update Equipment Policies and Procedures modification date below. This policy was last modified on March 2021.
If there are any questions regarding this policy, you may contact us using the information in Contact us.