TIG Welding SBU
Welding is the process of fusing materials together.
Learn how to use the basic TIG (tungsten inert gas) welding equipment in this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class. Get started creating quality weld beads on mild steel. While this class practices on thin steel, the TIG welder is capable of welding material up to 1.3 mm (1/2”) thick.
With extensive practice, TIG welding can be used with a wide variety of different metals, producing a very pure, precise, and attractive weld.
- Guided practice with the instructor
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- The class will be conducted in English.
- No other class prerequisits apply.
- An understanding of working with metal is recommended. We recommend taking Basic Metal Shop SBU prior to this class.
Members can use the following equipment during their membership after successfully passing this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class:
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via .
- Member Price*: AED 420 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 480 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machine outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makerspace as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 1
- Maximum number of registrations: 4
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.
- Closed-toed shoes made of natural fibers or leather, natural fiber or leather long sleeved shirt, natural fiber or leather long pants.
- Advised: Leather welding jacket, leather welding pants, leather boots, respirator, and hearing protection.