Milling Machine Basics SBU
In this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class, learn basic operations of the vertical milling machine to safely select speeds, change end mills, use the digital readout, and secure work needed to accurately machine parts. Explore the theory of how to successfully choose the correct end mill and speed setting. Work precisely with metal and plastics to cut, drill and surface parts.
This class is the perfect companion to the machine shop and welding classes.
- Aluminum business card holder
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- The class will be conducted in English.
- No other class prerequisits apply.
- An understanding of working with metal is recommended. We recommend taking Basic Metal Shop SBU prior to this class.
Members can use the following equipment during their membership after successfully passing this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class:
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via .
- Member Price*: AED 420 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 480 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machines outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makerspace as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 1
- Maximum number of registrations: 3
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.
- Eye protection, and short sleeves.
- Pull back hair, remove all jewelry, and do not wear gloves.
- Advisable: Hearing protection