Sand Blasting and Powder Coating SBU
Powder coating is a durable, simple to apply, easy to clean up, product. It is inexpensive, and more environmentally friendly than paint, as it has no VOCs and no solvents are used. The final product is more durable than paint, and powder is available in different colors and finish types.
The sand blaster can be used on metal, wood, glass, mirror, plastics and almost any material that is rigid. It will remove paint, rust and mill scale, as well as cleaning welds. (The parts must be baked at about 200 degrees for 15 minutes, so it will not work on magnetic items, or anything with grease in the part, like bearings).
In this Safety and Basic Use class, you will learn how to use a cabinet sandblaster to prepare a small metal part, clean and coat it with powder, and then bake it on in the powder coat oven.
Note: The sandblast cabinet and powder coating oven are large enough for motorcycle frames, bicycles and many other bulky items. Visit us to check the oven size if you have a specific project in mind.
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- The class will be conducted in English.
- No other class prerequisits apply.
Members can use the following equipment during their membership after successfully passing this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class:
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via .
- Member Price*: AED 320 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 380 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machine outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makerspace as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 1
- Maximum number of registrations: 4
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.