It's an Illusion! Build a Phenakistoscope
The STEAM program covers the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics.
Looking for an exciting class once a week for your young innovator? Engage and inspire your kids this break with a unique experience at Makerspace STEAM program.
Have your kids learn science and apply it to solve practical engineering challenges. Your young innovators will learn how to use state-of-the-art technology and how mathematics is useful to create projects. Let your little ones dive deep into science while embracing their creative side.
Contact the Front Desk 02 558 8624 for more information or sign up your kid directly by booking a seat.
It’s an Illusion! - Build a Phenakistoscope
Phenakistoscope is an optical toy, was an early animation device that used the persistence of vision principle to create an illusion of motion. The user would spin the disc and look through the moving slits at the disc's reflection in a mirror, so that the user would see a rapid succession of images that appeared to be a single moving picture.
How does a Phenakistoscope work?
> Brainstorming: The user would spin the disc and look through the moving slits at the disc's reflection in a mirror.
What is the Persistence of Vision Principle?
> Explaining concepts: Is a sequence of still images in quick enough succession, the viewer interprets them as a continuous moving image.
When was the Phenakistoscope invented?
> Explaining facts: It was invented by Joseph Plateau in 1841.
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member Price*: AED 150 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 180 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 8
- Maximum age: 15
- No parental supervision is necessary! Kids will be supervised by Makerspace Al Zeina staff!
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- The class will be conducted in English.
- No other class prerequisites apply.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 4
- Maximum number of registrations: 12
- Please note that this class requires a minimum number of FOUR registrations to proceed.
- If registrations do not reach this number, Makerspace retains the right to cancel the class.
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Parents will be notified the day prior to the class in case of any changes. Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.