Jointer, Planer and Router SBU
In this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class, learn proper techniques and how to safely operate the jointer, planer, hand-held and table-mounted router.
Use these woodworking tools to turn rough lumber into finished boards (achieve precise thickness, square edges and flat surfaces) as well as create complex profiles for edge finishing and joinery operations. Say goodbye to the constraints of lumberyard wood and the high price of mail order wood. Say hello to affordable custom woodworking projects!
This class is the perfect companion to the Basic Woodshop SBU, Hand Tool Basics and Wood Lathe SBU classes.
Prerequisites & Other Requirements
- The class will be conducted in English.
- Successful completion of Basic Woodshop SBU prior to taking this class.
Members can use the following equipment during their membership after successfully passing this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class:
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via .
- Member Price*: AED 320 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 380 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machines outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makerspace as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 1
- Maximum number of registrations: 4
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.
- Eye protection and short sleeves.
- Pull back hair, remove all jewelry, and do not wear gloves.
- Hearing protection
- Particle filter or dust mask