ShopBot SBU – Part 2: CNC Router
In this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class, learn to use the computer-controlled (CNC) ShopBot router to cut objects, parts or art designed in 2D or 3D CAD. This powerful tool is perfect for rapid prototyping and digital fabrication. Create parts with complex curves and surfaces from most woods, plastics, foams, and other composites (no metal on this machine). This class teaches you how to safely use of the machine.
- Guided practice with the instructor
Class Time & Duration
- Please see the scheduled class time and duration below. In case this class is not scheduled or already fully booked, please contact our Front Desk team via .
- Member Price*: AED 420 per student
- Non-Member Price: AED 480 per student
- *Membership is verified at the time of the class session. Be sure to bring your badge.
Age & Supervision requirements
- Minimum age: 12
- Maximum age: None!
- During class, all 12 to 14-year-old students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also enrolled in the class. When using the machines outside of class time, 12 to 14-year-old members must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian who has passed the SBU.
- Members who are 15 years and above can, after successfully passing this class, use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at Makerspace as a member!
- Please refer to our Minors & Shop Access Policies for more information.
Number of Students
- Minimum number of registrations: 1
- Maximum number of registrations: 4
- Registrations over this limit will be placed on a waiting list.
- Class fees are not refunded, but credited for future classes in case of cancellation. Please refer to our Payments, Refunds & Cancellations for more information.
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants. Open-toed footwear of any kind is not permitted and unfortunately if this requirement is not met, we will not be able to allow access to the facility.
- Additionally, when entering the wood shop, you must wear eye protection, and short sleeves.
- Pull back hair, remove all jewelry, and do not wear gloves, when working with machines.
- Advisable: Hearing protection, particle filter, or dust maskClosed-toed shoes are mandatory for all participants.